Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"We can't use bare feet."

Third son came home from school yesterday, hysterical. 
     Between sobs and sniffles, he managed to tell me he didn't want to run in his school's cross-country and he wanted to stay home that day.
     Something was amiss.  Third Son loves running. He is my only child who will come walking with me when I go for long walks and half the time he runs.  So I asked the obvious question.
     "Mum, we gotta wear shoes.  We can't use bare feet. I can't run in shoes.  Them white kids, they can, they used to it.  But us black kids, we can't run in shoes."
     He pleaded with me to let him stay home. I struggled to keep a straight face (and ignore his grammar).
     "We'll work something out," I said, giving his tear-stained cheek a big kiss while wondering if the guidelines for competing in Olympic track events might apply to the annual cross-country run in a small primary school on a remote, tropical island.  
     After all, Zola Budd ran 'using' bare feet.


2 comments:

  1. So cute! So did he end up racing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way. It would have crushed his spirit. Seffy felt the same so they had a day home with Mum.

    ReplyDelete