Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Eggs on toast for dinner?

I can't wait for Tony to return.  I'm sick of having to make dinner.
     The problem is I've become so used to him doing all the shopping and cooking, I've not only forgotten I need to do it, I can't be bothered.  In the pantry, there are still quite a few cans of baked beans, red kidney beans and chick peas, at least a month worth of dinners.  We have greens in the garden and a steady supply of chook and duck eggs.  
     Food doesn't interest me except insofar as the kids need a healthy diet ... or a tantalising Italian experience!
     In Tony's absence, dinner had mostly been eggs on toast for the kids, preceded by some chick peas or carrot sticks or frozen peas (courtesy of the ducks).  Add a glass of milk and choc-hazelnut spread on rice thins for dessert and I've created a delicious meal of all five food groups.
     My culinary short-cuts have been wearing thin with the children.  Friday night was eggs on toast.  Saturday night's gnocchi was a disaster, granted.  I then saved the day with eggs on toast.  Sunday night, more eggs on toast.  Monday night. 
     Well, I forgot dinner on Monday night.  I remembered at nine when I was making the kids' lunches and was light-headed and shaky (hypoglycaemic?).  Kibby had been home sick and we'd had lunch, eggs on toast, just before Seffy came home. She'd had nothing since lunch.
     I rushed into Seffy's dark room and asked if she wanted some eggs on toast.
     'It's okay, Mum,' she said, her voice thick with sleep, 'I had a carrot.'
     I was relieved, She had eaten something since lunch.
     The following morning Seffy and I were making a cup of tea.
     'I like it when Dad's here,' she said.
     'Why?' 
     'He makes us dinner.'

6 comments:

  1. OM Goodness you have been spoilt Try a spag bog easy as or even snags and vegies I am sure the kids can cook that :) Chin up Tony will be home soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taught them to cook for this very reason, but they've been spoilt as well, Tonight Kibby asked 'what's for dinner?' and I said 'Eggs on toast. Do it yourself.' Finally he did.
    Actually, Tony is coming home tonight, it's 8.20 pm now, and the kids don't know. Phew. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew hope TK did well and now Seffy and Kibby will have vegies again and you will be back to normal xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you should have heard Kibby telling Tony how awful it was when Tony was massaging his feet in bed.
    'Yeah, we had eggs on toast all the time.'
    'We didn't even have fruit, Well, there was one pear.'
    So good to have Tony back. He needs to go shopping first thing! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baked beans is the good ol standby at our place. Just have to open a tin. Followed by eggs on toast.

    ReplyDelete